New Blog, Same Dude

I used to write. Sometimes little stories that nobody ever read. Sometimes characters that I made up with friends that also used to write. Sometimes stories and anecdotes about my life that nobody really wanted to read. But it occurred to me recently, that at some point in my 37 years, I stopped writing.

Have you ever noticed that as we grow older, our spirits start to harden and turn to stone? Our aspirations to become things like astronauts and rockstars start to fade and the cold corporate world starts chipping away at our souls in their place. We get caught up in this crossfire between who we want to be and who we need to be. And one day, we wake up one day nearing middle age, wondering what the hell happened? Then again, when "someday" becomes today and it's just another day in your life... Well that's the oldest story in the world, isn't it?

I've written words for the world to see off and on since I was roughly 14 and first gained access to the world wide web. Sometimes my words were published on other websites. A couple times they were printed in student newspapers. At various points in my life, I thought I might write for film or television. Once I thought I'd write a novel. But they say that to be a great writer, you should write what you know, and sadly, I don't know a lot, so scripts and stories got shelved, scrapped, deleted, or just plainly never materialized the way that I had hoped. I have trouble writing myself into corners that I just can't seem to write myself out of.

What I do know, though, is my life and what's going on in it. And maybe that's not terribly interesting to anyone -- especially since I spend a majority of it working and playing from home as of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. But that's okay because I'm not looking for a huge audience for these words. Hopefully, this will just turn into a therapeutic place for me to get things out and express myself in a way that used to be familiar and comfortable to me. If anyone finds their way to this space though and finds themselves compelled to stay, then that's even better.

In the meantime, I've pursued other interests and varied hobbies. As one does, I suppose. Professional writing may never appear on my resumé, but maybe there's still a little bit of something that'll spark from one of the other arts and crafts I've picked up or that I've still yet to dabble in. If only there were more hours in the day, huh?

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things

Bad Friends